Double Choc Twix Bars
These Double Choc Twix Bars taste just like the real deal, in fact we guarantee you'll enjoy them even more knowing they contain only the best wholefood ingredients. Just like their namesake, they have a crunchy cookie base (courtesy of our Choc Peanut Butter Afghan mix), smooth caramel centre, and a rich chocolate coating. Need we say more?
Gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, vegan.
What you'll need:
- 1 Hill St Choc Peanut Butter Afghan mix
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 1 can of good quality coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Pics Peanut Butter Slugs (provided in the packet)
- 150g chocolate of you choice
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Using a heavy based pot, add in coconut cream, coconut sugar, vanilla essence and salt. Whisk together and heat on medium/low.
- Leave on the heat to gently bubble without touching it or stirring it. Let it bubble for 40-60 minutes until it turns thick and a dark amber colour.
- While the caramel is cooking, preheat the oven to 180 degrees and make the afghan biscuit mix according to packet instructions. Line a square 20x20cm baking tin with baking paper. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to spread the cookie dough out evenly. Bake for 12-15mins. Set aside to cool in the pan.
- Take the caramel off the heat and whisk in the smooth peanut butter until all combined. Carefully pour the warm caramel over the baked biscuit base. Allow to sit on the bench for 10 minutes before putting in the freezer to set for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
- Gently melt the chocolate and coconut oil using a double boiler method until smooth and runny. Lift the frozen slice out of the tin and peel back the baking paper from the sides. Note: you can either trim the sides to make it straight or leave them.
- Cut into twelve bars - it’s best to cut this frozen for a clean result. Carefully pick up a bar from the biscuit side and dip into the chocolate, lift out and hold it for a few seconds to allow the excess to drip off. Place on a lined baking tray and repeat.
- Optional step for any left over chocolate: pop the bars in the freezer for 5mins to set. Drizzle extra chocolate on top.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge and allow to thaw for 10-15mins before serving.